Associate Director, Commercial Affairs
LONDON, UK /COMMERCIAL AFFAIRS / BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT – COMMERCIAL AFFAIRS /FULL TIME
Vevo is the premier global music video network, connecting an ever-growing global audience to high-quality music video content for over a decade. Founded by Universal Music Group and Sony Music Entertainment in 2009, Vevo offers fans around the world a huge range of premium content to choose from, featuring official music videos as well as an ever-growing lineup of live performances and original programming. innovative. From superstars to new emerging talent, Vevo provides unparalleled cross-promotional support to artists across the musical spectrum, at every stage of their career.
Vevo has steadily evolved over the past decade to become a leader in today’s ever-changing media landscape, partnering with a number of leading distribution platforms to deliver extraordinary content in funded environments. by advertising. With over 26 billion views across TV, desktop and mobile devices every month, Vevo delivers music videos to the world – when, where and how fans want them.
Vevo is available on YouTube, Samsung, Samsung TV Plus, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Echo Show, PlutoTV, Apple TV, Roku, Comcast (Xfinity X1 and Xfinity Flex), VIZIO, Sky (NowTV and SkyQ), Foxxum, XITE, NetRange , Redbox, T-Mobile Play, Virgin Media, Xumo, Telstra and Vewd.
We are looking for an Associate Director, Business Affairs to join our small team of talented attorneys who work to help grow Vevo’s global business at the intersection of music, media and technology.
The Business Affairs team plays a key role in the company’s evolving strategy, ensuring that Vevo strikes smart and innovative deals. As Associate Director, Commercial Affairs, you will provide commercial and legal advice as part of the company’s ongoing development efforts and day-to-day operations, with a particular focus on Vevo’s business in the UK and Europe. EU. You will also support overall business strategy and work cross-functionally with our International Content & Programming, Ad Sales, Commercial, Finance, Business Development and Business Operations teams. Eventually, you will manage your own transactions directly with internal and external Vevo stakeholders. This role requires someone who is an effective communicator, writer and negotiator, who is adaptable and has the ability to spot and resolve issues, while overseeing a high volume of transactions from inception through execution.
As part of Vevo’s Business Affairs team, you’ll work alongside incredibly talented people who will inspire and challenge you to think about questions such as how best to navigate the IP landscape, to monetize content and balance risk to create successful long-term partnerships. We often take the time as a team to examine complex legal issues and new developments in the music, technology and media industries, and to think critically about the various developments around us that may impact on our overall strategy. We have a phenomenal unit of fun, accomplished individuals from diverse backgrounds, and we’re thrilled to have you on board!
This is a full-time position based in our London office.
As a team member, you will:
- Work closely with the various departments of Vevo, identify the risks and legal implications of the daily operation of each department and help where necessary by providing sound and pragmatic advice
- Review, draft and negotiate a variety of deals, including original programming and production; master user/content licenses; music publishing/PRO/collecting society agreements; agreements to distribute Vevo content and/or applications through a wide range of digital platforms and devices; live events; advertising sales and strategic marketing; software and technology; property and insurance project management
- Understand and keep up with evolving regulatory frameworks and legislation in territories where Vevo operates across Europe (e.g. OFCOM, GDPR, IAB, CAP and ASA), providing guidance to various departments to ensure compliance and helping to develop, write and enforce policies
- Assist with global trademark issues
- Be comfortable working independently and effectively prioritizing tasks across different time zones
- Assist in the enforcement and protection of Vevo’s intellectual property rights, including managing the takedown request process for videos distributed on the Vevo platform
- Assist in the management of disputes/claims in collaboration with an external lawyer
- Develop and maintain standard agreements
- Help lead and work closely with outside attorneys
- Collaborate with other members of the legal team to ensure business needs are met
This describes you:
- You are a good negotiator and an excellent communicator
- You have the ability to navigate the applicable regulatory frameworks and legislation in the territories in which Vevo operates across Europe
- You have the ability to clearly and effectively explain legal risk to internal stakeholders
- You are a creative problem solver who can suggest other ways to arrive at practical and prudent courses of action
- You are highly committed and motivated with the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- You share our passion for music and digital media and have a genuine curiosity for emerging digital technologies
- You are used to challenging the status quo to achieve positive results
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and an ever-changing landscape and thrive in high pressure situations
- You can see the big picture and translate high-level strategy into day-to-day implementation
- You ideally have 1-2 PQEs at a leading law firm or entertainment, media and/or technology company, including hands-on negotiation and drafting experience (although relevant experience instead of qualification is considered)
- You understand international copyright law and are up-to-date on the various licensing structures and processes that are customary in the territories in which Vevo operates
- LLB in Law or University degree with relevant GDL conversion certification
- 2-3 years of experience in contract law, intellectual property, media, technology and/or entertainment
- Ability to keep information confidential
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a dynamic and creative environment.
- Willing to work long hours, as needed
- Very proficient in Microsoft Office
This is a full-time, site/office based position. Vevo will operate on a hybrid work model and require employees to be in the office 2-3 days per week, on average. To qualify for the position, you will need to be currently located close to the office where you will be based and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to hiring.