Come as you are.
As the great Kurt Cobain* once said, “Come as you are.” BMG is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and we celebrate diversity in all its forms. Equal opportunity is deeply rooted in our core value of fairness and we are committed to creating a truly inclusive work environment where everyone can thrive. If you are good at what you do, come as you are.
All BMG applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, color, nationality, origin ethnicity or nationality, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
*BMG is the proud representative of Kurt Cobain’s publishing catalog, including the 1992 single “Come As You Are”.
Senior Manager, Royalty Audit
Your mission at BMG.
Every day, BMG collects large amounts of sales and usage data from around the world. It is checked and then re-checked so that our customers are paid in full, accurately and on time.
On occasion, BMG’s songwriter and recording artist clients contract with third-party auditors to review BMG’s royalty accounts. As Sr. Manager, Royalty Audit, you will act as BMG’s representative to these auditors. First and foremost, your day-to-day work will adhere to BMG’s directive of fairness and transparency to its clients.
Are you motivated and ready for a career in the music industry?
Are you interested in professional development and on-the-job technology training?
Would you like to be part of a talented team of music professionals from around the world offering the best to their clients?
BMG’s Incoming Tracking & Audit team has a 360°vision of the music industry and works closely with a wide range of overseas departments and subsidiaries. The successful candidate will gain invaluable exposure to the workings of a global music business.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is eager to learn; If you’re an organized, driven music lover who enjoys detective work and deep-dive into data, this could be the dream job for you!
- You’re ready to dive deep and learn multiple aspects of BMG’s royalty accounting business – legal, copyright, royalties, revenue tracking, timing, licensing, and more.
- You have exceptional communication skills (verbal and written) and a keen musical business acumen.
- You are an independent person.
- You thrive on working independently.
- You are able to juggle multiple projects simultaneously, usually each project at a different audit stage.
- You have exceptional attention to detail and the ability to track and follow multiple concurrent projects to completion.
What you will do.
- Participate in every step of the royalty audit process for songwriter and performer clients.
- Initiate preliminary internal research on the audit client and note any relevant information.
- Establish clear communication with auditors and share information in accordance with BMG’s incoming audit best practices.
- Compile reports and source documents as requested by auditors.
- Work closely with internal departments and foreign subsidiaries as needed to respond to audit requests.
- Carefully review audit reports and deduce the accuracy of claims.
- Write responses to audit reports, using mathematical and logical arguments to refute assertions.
- Record and update audit statuses at least weekly in BMG’s project tracker.
- Finalize audit protocols at the end of an audit.
- Basic understanding of royalty accounting (Counterpoint experience a plus).
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
It’s a plus if you have a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and experience/knowledge of SQL. It’s even better if you have a background in music publishing and/or artist royalty accounting.
BMG is a new kind of music company. Our mission is clear; to help artists and songwriters get the most out of their songs and recordings in the digital age. That’s why we offer the best creative support, provide the best access to platforms, and work hard to maximize the value of every copyright, ensuring that all of our clients receive all payments quickly and accurately. We are not a technology company, although we use the best technology. We’re not just a music publisher or record label – although we offer both services. BMG is a company focused on service, transparency and fairness and is committed to being the best international music company for songwriters, artists and all who work with us.
What’s in it for you.
- Robust medical/dental/vision packages
- Flexible leave
- $500 fitness reimbursement
- Various opportunities for personal and professional development, including training and access to Lynda.com
- Dollar for dollar up to 6% in 401(k) after your first year with the company
- A fun and respectful community of people passionate about music
Are you interested? Follow the link to apply!
BMG – founded in 2008 – is the world’s fourth-largest music company, the first new global music player in the streaming era, and both a record label and music publisher. Named one of the 2020 World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company, BMG’s pitch is unique – an unrelenting focus on fairness and transparency and service to its artist and songwriter clients. BMG’s 20 offices in 12 major music markets now represent more than three million songs and recordings, including many of the most renowned and successful catalogs in popular music history.
BMG’s New Approach Includes Music, Film, Book Production, Artist Management, Merchandise, Neighboring Rights, and Live Music Publishing and Recordings on the Same Service Platform . BMG is owned by international media, services and education company Bertelsmann, whose other content businesses include broadcaster RTL Group, specialist book publisher Penguin Random House and magazine publisher Gruner + Jahr. With its cross-platform perspective, integrated technology platform, and commitment to helping artists maximize their revenue, BMG aims to be the best music company to do business with. www.bmg.com