Music icon

Bay Area music icon Carlos Santana undergoes heart surgery; Cancels December shows – CBS San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF/AP) — After suffering a health crisis over the weekend, San Francisco and Bay Area native music icon Carlos Santana underwent successful heart surgery and cancels several Las Vegas shows scheduled for December.

Santana took to social media to help shut down rumors about her health.

READ MORE: COVID: Pfizer requests emergency authorization for vaccine for children 5 and under

“I’m here to crystallize and clarify things,” he said. “Last Saturday I had an incident where I asked my wife Cindy to take me to the hospital because I had this thing going on in my chest. So when we went there we discovered that I had to take care of it.

Santana said not to disclose what the medical issue was.

“I’m going to take some time off to make sure I recharge and rest, so when I play for you I play like I usually do,” Santana said.

READ MORE: SF Supes approves purchase of Gotham Hotel to rehouse homeless

Michael Vrionis, president of Universal Tone Management, said the 74-year-old guitarist suffered an “unscheduled cardiac procedure” but gave no details.

The 10-time Grammy winner’s heart surgery and recovery led to the cancellation of his concerts at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino through the end of the year. He is expected to resume performance in January, his management said.

“Carlos is doing great and looks forward to returning to the stage soon,” Vrionis said in a statement. “He deeply regrets that this ‘speed bump’ necessitated the cancellation of his upcoming performances.”

NO MORE NEWS: Chilean gang rob wealthy Atherton homes

Earlier this year, Santana released the album “Blessings and Miracles,” which features collaborations with Rob Thomas, Chris Stapleton and more.